This is a super easy bread/biscuit and can be found at every occasion in every Italian home. It is served with coffee and other yummy Italian cakes. It is such a wonderful flexible recipe as you can substitute the almonds for pistachios and cranberries, with lemon zest to add to the festive season. These deliciously addictive thin biscuits store incredibly well in an air tight container, up to a few weeks. They also make a great little gift idea. Once you make them yourself, you won’t ever go buying them again.
- 4 free range egg whites (1/2 cup or 120ml)
- ½ cup raw caster sugar
- 1 cup plain flour (organic preferably)
- 1 cup of whole almonds
Grease and line a 22 cm x 12 cm or 8 ½ inch x 4 ½ inch loaf tin with non- stick baking paper.
Pre-heat oven at 170 C°
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in raw caster sugar, beating well after each addition and until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Fold in sifted flour and whole almonds. Spread into a greased lined loaf tin and bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 30 minutes or until firm. Cool loaf once taken out of tin.
- When completely cooled, using a serrated knife, cut bread into wafer-thin slices.
- Arrange slices on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and bake in the oven on 120 C° for approximately 45 minutes or until dry and crisp.
- When completely cooled store in an air-tight container until ready to use.
Makes about 40.