“When a man’s stomach is full it makes no difference whether he is rich or poor”,
Euripides (480BC-406BC) Greek tragic poet
This is an extremely simple and lovely moist little cupcake that can easily be transformed into one big cake if preferred .
As spring is in the air the addition of strawberries and other mixed berries when serving really compliments this delicious little cake and with a dollop of cream or crème fraiche makes a special morning or afternoon tea.
I use lemon juice but any other citrus juices like lime or orange work equally well.
As there is no butter in this recipe, it is rather “healthy” and is great to pop into the kiddies lunch box.
225g self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
75g ground almonds
100g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
50g runny honey
250ml plain Greek Style Yoghurt
150ml Grapeseed Oil (or any other vegetable oil)
Finely grated zest of 1 Lemon
¾ cup of finely chopped unsalted pistachios (For sprinkling on top)
For The Syrup
100g caster sugar
Juice of 1 Lemon
2 tabsp rosewater
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Prepare 12 cupcake papers by popping into muffin tray.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add ground almonds and the caster sugar, then mix.
- Mix the eggs, honey, yoghurt, grapeseed oil and lemon zest together well in a medium-sized bowl. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and slowly pour in the wet ingredients, bringing them together with a whisk until they are just combined.
- Pour the mixture evenly into prepared cupcake papers and bake in the oven for approximately 45 minutes or until golden on top or when you insert a skewer in the middle of the cupcake and it comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the muffin tin for about 15 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the syrup by boiling the water and sugar in a small saucepan for about 5 minutes or until it is reduced by half.
- Add the lemon juice and boil for a further 2 minutes, then cool and add the rosewater according to your own taste.
- With a fine skewer, make holes on top of the still warm cupcakes. Then with a spoon or pastry brush, spread the syrup all over each cupcake. Repeat process till all syrup is used.
- Decorate cupcakes with chopped pistachios and allow to settle for approximately an hour.