Quote: “This chicken is so undercooked a skilled Vet could still save him!” Gordon Ramsay
This is a lovely moist cake with the right amount of orange and chocolate. Keeping with true Italian tradition we like to add liqueur in our desserts whenever possible. I iced the cake with a basic chocolate ganache but other occasions I have also finished it with a dusting of good quality cocoa powder, whatever you prefer works either way. This recipe has certainly been a favourite in our family for years as it is so easy, even my daughter when she was younger would make it with great success every time. Hope it becomes one of your favourites too.
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 1 cup of raw caster sugar
- 1 1/4 cup of full cream 35% fat
- 2 cups of sifted self-raising flour (organic preferred )
- 1/4 cup of Galliano liqueur
- Zest of one large orange
- 1/4 cup of good quality cocoa powder (I used callebaut)
- 1/4 cup of sweet marmalade or orange jam
- 1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips
- Grease a 25cm or 10inch bundt baking pan and preheat oven at 180°C.
- Beat eggs and raw caster sugar until pale, light and fluffy.
- Meanwhile mix together the cocoa powder and sweet orange marmalade to form a smooth paste, fold in the dark chocolate chips.
- Once the eggs are doubled in volume and light and fluffy add full cream and orange zest, then gently fold in the sifted flour and Galliano making sure not to over mix at this stage.
- Place 3/4 of the mixture in the bundt baking pan, fold the remaining cake batter with the chocolate mixture. Place spoonful’s of the chocolate batter on top then run a knife through the cake to create a marbled effect making sure not to over blend the two mixes.
- Bake on the middle rack in oven for approximately 1 hour or until cooked when inserted knife comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool, finish with dark chocolate ganache icing.
Dark Chocolate Ganache icing
- 150 ml full cream 35% fat
- 200g good quality dark chocolate chips (I used callebauts 60%)
- Zest of one orange
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, (making sure no water gets into the chocolate). Set aside.
- Bring the cream to just below boiling point in a small saucepan.
- Remove from the heat, then add the melted chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Allow to cool until thick but still pouring consistency. Pour over cooled cake and finish with orange zest. Enjoy!