This is such a deliciously moist cake. When freshly baked it makes the whole kitchen smell amazing. To give the cake a punch of lemon and orange I use 100% organic essential oils. And to add an extra lemon zing, what better way than a touch of traditional Italian liquor, Limoncello. This cake is even better the next day, if you can wait that long. It’s great to put in the kids lunch boxes and perfect with fresh raspberries for afternoon tea. If you don’t like poppy seeds you can omit as it is still a lovely cake. It is also works well as a layered cake filled with whipped cream and strawberries. I hope you try it…. I’m sure it will be a favourite!
8 ½ inch or 21cm spring form baking pan, lightly greased and lined with baking paper.
- 1 ½ cups of cake flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons of aluminium free baking powder (available from health food stores)
- 170g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups of fresh whole-milk ricotta, drained
- 1 ½ cups of raw caster sugar
- 3 large free-range eggs at room temperature
- A pinch of salt
- ¼ cup of poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean extract
- Splashes of 100% organic lemon and orange essential oils (to taste), (approx. ½ a teaspoon of each)
- 1 capful of Limoncello liquor (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°
- In a bowl, sift the cake flour, baking powder, salt and put aside.
- Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, ricotta and sugar on medium speed until pale and light.
- Add in the eggs one at a time while continue beating. Add the vanilla bean extract, poppy seeds, essential oils and Limoncello liquor, beating until well incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- On the lowest speed, beat in the dry ingredients, until just combined making sure not to over beat.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan, use a spatula or the back of a spoon to smooth the top. Tap the pan on the work bench to remove any air pockets.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 160° and continue baking for approximately 30 minutes, testing to see if it is cooked all the way through by inserting a cake tester in the center of the cake making sure it comes out clean.
- Allow to completely cool before carefully inverting cake onto rack. Dust cake with icing sugar and serve with fresh berries.