“Popcorn for breakfast! Why not? It’s like a grain, it’s like, grits, but with high self-esteem.”James Patterson
These cute little biscuits are sometimes called “Stained Glass Cookies” or “Linzer Cookies”.
It is basically a cookie dough recipe and as a variation, with the addition of cocoa powder you could make it into a chocolate cookie. The cookie is sandwiched together usually by strawberry jam but nutella, lemon curd, dulce de leche or any other jam you prefer works equally as well.
“Baker’s Secret”, make an all in one cookie cutter with different shapes for the centres, they can be found at the “General Trader Store”, http://www.generaltrader.com.au/ click onto the link to find a store closest to you.
For Valentine’s day I have chosen a heart shape cookie cutter, again you can choose which ever shape you like depending on the occasion. They make a lovely little gift for that special someone.
Makes approximately 40 single cookies
- 3 cups of plain flour
- 1 tsp aluminium free baking powder (from health food store)
- ½ tsp salt
- 170 grms unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups castor sugar
- 1 large free range eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup good quality strawberry jam (or any other filling you prefer)
- ½ cup icing sugar, for cookies when baked, (optional)
- Sift together the plain flour, baking powder and salt. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until smooth. Beat in the vanilla.
- Beat in the dry ingredients just until dough holds together. Form the dough into two flat rectangles. Using glad wrap cover tightly and pop in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Line baking trays with baking paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one rectangle of dough to approximately ¼ inch thickness. Then with a cookie cutter cut out as many cookies as possible and place on the baking paper lined baking trays, allowing 1 inch apart.
- For the top cookie roll out another rectangle the same thickness and cut out using cookie cutter with the heart shape insert. Place on lined baking trays.
- Bake cookie tops and bottoms until just golden around the edges, approximately 8 to 12 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes then gently transfer onto a rack to cool completely.
- Dust the cookies for the top with icing sugar. Spread a little strawberry jam, or your preferred spread, in the centre of the bottom cookie and place the top cookie with a gentle twist to make a sandwich.