“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.” – Luciano Pavarotti
One of my favourite desserts has to be anything containing fruit or citrus and this recipe has many wonderful transformations as firstly the lemon curd can be substituted using other citrus fruits of choice plus the curd can then be used not just for the tart but for example makes a lovely centre in a cupcake. Another delicious idea is a raspberry tiramisu mixing lemon curd with whipped cream or mascarpone. Also crepes with a delicious blood orange curd mixed with whipped cream and served with fresh blueberries and strawberries is both light and satisfying. Certainly there are many more mouth-watering options using lemon or citrus curd, I could go on!!!
This recipe for the tart dough is fail safe thanks to the addition of Almond Powder (Almond Meal) so you are guaranteed a perfect light crisp texture every time.
Makes one large 24cm tart or approximately 20 small 7cm tartlets.
- 165g unsalted butter (cold and cut into cubes)
- 112g icing sugar
- 277g Plain Unbleached Organic Flour
- 38g Almond Powder (Almond Meal)
- 75g Egg
- Sift the flour, icing sugar, and almond meal.
- In a food processor add cubed butter and the sifted dry ingredients.
- Process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- In a large bowl empty the crumb mixture and add the egg and mix with your hand till dough begins to stick together.
- Transfer dough to a working surface and continue to knead the dough to form a ball.
- Flatten the dough and wrap it in plastic wrap, place the dough into the fridge for at least an hour.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and roll approximately to 3mm and gently place in the tart pan. (Note: Press the dough into the sides without stretching the dough otherwise it will shrink during baking.)
- Prick the base all over with a fork and put back in the fridge for a further 20 minutes.
- Bake the tart dough for approximately 20 minutes or until golden in a pre-heated oven at 190 degrees C (374F)
- 2 Large whole eggs plus 8 large egg yolks (free-range)
- 1 cup of castor sugar
- 2/3 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- The zest of 3 lemons
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into cubes
- Combine the whole eggs and yolks, sugar and lemon juice in a heatproof bowl and set it over a pan of gently simmering water, whisking constantly until mixture is thick.
- Remove the pan from the heat and gradually add the cubes of butter a few at a time, whisking until smooth.
- Strain through a fine sieve and into another bowl. Allow the curd to cool placing baking paper on top pressing onto the surface to prevent any skin forming.
- Refrigerate and chill until ready to use.
To assemble spread the lemon curd onto the cooked and cooled tart and decorate to your liking.